Composer Anu Malik opens up on #MeToo allegations, says will move court to safeguard himself

Hyderabad: Singer-composer Anu Malik, who was accused of harassing women singers, took to social media on Thursday to stress that “false and unverified allegations” were levelled against him. In a lengthy note shared on Instagram, Malik said he is in a dark phase and that he deserved justice.

“It has been over a year that I have been accused of something that I haven’t done. I have been silent all this while as I was waiting for the truth to surface on its own. But I realise that my silence on the matter has been misconstrued as my weakness,” he wrote.

Last year, singers Sona Mohapatra, Shweta Pandit and a few others had levelled sexual harassment charges on him. After more allegations surfaced, Sony TV announced that Malik was stepping down as a judge for the 10th season of singing reality show Indian Idol.

“Ever since the false and unverified allegations were levelled against me, it has not only ruined my reputation, but affected me and my family’s mental health, left us traumatised, and tarnished my career. I feel helpless, like I am being cornered and suffocated,” Malik wrote. “It’s disgraceful that at this age, at this stage in my life I have to watch the most slanderous words and horrifying incidents being associated with my name.” Malik was reinstated in Indian Idol Season 11 this year.

Following Malik’s note, singer Sona Mohapatra too issued a statement on her social media account where she said, “Mr Anu Malik, the only ‘truths’ that have surfaced after I called you out last year is that many more women have told their stories of sexual harassment, assault experiences with you.”

View this post on Instagram

Mr Anu Malik, 1) The only ‘truths’ that have surfaced after I called you out last year is that many more women have told their stories of sexual harassment, assault experiences with you. @shwetapandit7 told of her trauma of how you scarred her at a young age of 15. Danica D’Souza, Ex Indian Idol Producer told of how you harassed crew & contestants alike. Caralisa Monteiro spoke up too. Neha Bhasin spoke up a fortnight ago about her own story with you & many more who aren’t known did too & in detail. Alisha Chinai corroborated the pattern & spoke her truth too. None of these women are connected or have anything to gain by speaking up about the predatory behaviour of one powerful, rich, perverted man. 2) ‘unverified’ allegations you say? These are multiple testimonies of independent sane women speaking coherently & they have a common story. What about the ‘mental health’ of all these people who have gone through this traumatic experience because of you? Did you care about them over these years? What about the mental health of the good India & all the victims & their families when they see you flaunting yourself on TV & Encouraging others like you? 3. You have no right to be platformed on National TV till you make amends. 1.3 billion people exist in India. Not everyone needs to make crores on TV to survive or be ‘judge’ to young people whose safety they jeopardise. You aren’t a role model. You could always take a break, go to a sex-rehab or counselling or somewhere to reflect on how to behave better. Ask your kids to do a hard days job & earn a salary. They are adults now. I started working at 22.Open a biriyani shop. Stay away from the public eye? Show remorse? Say sorry? If you did, this would not have happened. There you go! You answered your own Q. Show off shamelessly on TV & we be quiet? 4. Having two daughters has no link to being a predator. 5. Yes, the show must go on. Without you. Don’t jeopardise the hard work of so many & the dreams of so many contestants just for you. STEP DOWN 6. Yes, go to court. Not just 10, 10 times those will come forward as testimonies & we shall set a precedence for sexual harassment cases in India. Justice 🤟🏾🔴

A post shared by ShutUpSona (@sonamohapatra) on

To Malik’s claim of “false and unverified” remark, she said, “These are multiple testimonies of independent sane women speaking coherently & they have a common story. What about the ‘mental health’ of all these people who have gone through this traumatic experience because of you?”

“Being a father of two daughters,” the singer-composer said, “can’t imagine committing the acts that “I am accused of, let alone do it. Fighting a battle on social media is an endless process, at the end of which nobody wins. If this keeps on continuing, I will have no option but to knock on the doors of the courts to safeguard myself.”

To this, Sona Mohapatra said, “Yes, go to court. Not just 10, 10 times those will come forward as testimonies & we shall set a precedence for sexual harassment cases in India.”

Also Read: https://newsmeter.in/thalaivar-begins-dubbing-for-darbar-ahead-of-jan-15-release/

Bhartendhu Sharma

A journalist by profession who has been into reporting from four years. Bhartendu Sharma has worked across all the three mediums -- Online, Print and Television. Previously, he has worked with PageScoop media (a Delhi-based website). Later, Bhartendu moved to Deccan Chronicle, Hyderabad, where he covered many national and International sports tournament. While at DC, he also went to Singapore to cover UFC bout.

Apart from that, he has covered Lok Sabha 2019 elections in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal while working for Tiranga TV. He has also reported on prominent cases of crime & courts during his stint with the TV channel which featured top journalists like Karan Thapar, Barkha Dutt.

Bhartendu loves traveling and capture world in his lens. In the past, he has also made few documentaries related to human interest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *