Hyderabad: University Grants Commission (UGC) on Wednesday released a list of 24 ‘Fake Universities’ in the country.
The commission has instructed the students and parents not to join any of these fake universities.
Among the 24 fake universities, eight fake universities are from Uttar Pradesh, seven from Delhi, two each from West Bengal and Odisha, and one each from Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala, and Puducherry.
“Students and public at large are hereby informed that 24 self-styled, unrecognized institutions are functioning in contravention of the UGC Act. These have been declared as fake universities and not empowered to confer any degree,” the UGC said.
Under Section 22(1) of the University Grants Commission (UGC) Act, 1956, a degree can be awarded only by a University established under a Central, State/Provincial Act or an Institution deemed to be university under Section 3 of the UGC Act or an Institution especially empowered by an Act of Parliament to confer the degree. Further, Section 23 of the UGC Act prohibits the use of the word ‘University’ by any institution other than a university established.
“Providing quality education with proper recognition is essential. No one will be spared. No one is special. The nation is important,” said Professor G Gopal Reddy, member of UGC.
List of the 24 Fake Universities:
l. Commercial University Ltd. Daryaganj, Delhi
2. United Nations University, Delhi
3. Vocational University, Delhi
4. ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25, Rajendra Place, New Delhi — 1 10 008
5. Indian Institution of Science and Engineering, New Delhi
6. Viswakarma Open University for Self-employment, India, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, opp. GTK Depot, New Delhi – 1 10 033
7. Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University), 351-352, Phase-I, Block-A, Vijay Vihar, Rithala, Rohini, Delhi – 110 085
8. Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum (Karnataka)
9. St. John’s University, Kishanattam, Kerala
10. Raja Arabic University, Nagpur
• West Bengal
I l. Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, 80, Chowringhee Road, Kolkata — 20
12. Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research, 8-A, Diamond Harbor Road Builtech inn, 2nd Floor, Thakurpukur, Kolkata — 700 063
• Uttar Pradesh
13. Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyala, Varanasi, UP/Jagatpuri, Delhi
14. Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women’s University) Prayag, Allahabad (UP)
15. Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad (UP)
16. National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur
17. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh (UP)
18. Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura (UP)
19. Maharana Partap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh (UP)
20. Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area, Khoda, Makanpur, Noida Phase-2, (UP)
21. Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupoorna Bhawan, Plot No. 242, Pani Tanki Road, Shakti Nagar, Rourkela – 769 014
22. North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, University Road Baripada, Distt. Mayurbhanj, Odisha – 757 003
23. Sree Bodhi academy of Higher Education, No. 186, Thilaspet, Vazhuthavoor Road, Puducheey — 605 009
• Andhra Pradesh
24. Christ New Testament Deemed University, # 32-23-2003, 7th Lane, Kakumanuvarithota, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh — 522 002 or # fit No. 301, Grace Villa Apts., 7/5, Srinagar, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh — 522 002
• Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow, UP — the matter is sub judice before the District Judge – Lucknow