In an independent analysis done by the ‘Association for Democratic reforms’ (ADR) in the Odisha Assembly elections, it was found that 33 of the 95 crorepati candidates won with a vote share of 50 percent, while the rest won by an average of 46%. The difference in the vote share illustrates the cash spent on polling, as the 33 won against a non-crorepati runner up.
The state of Odisha went to polls in April 2019 concurrently with the Lok Sabha elections, similar to that of AP. The Assembly constitutes of 147 seats. The homegrown party BJP led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik won a large share of the pie- 112, while the national party BJP stood the silver with 23 seats while Congress the bronze with 9 seats. Portraying a high gender inequality, the state elected 13 women candidates.
ADR, an election watch body in its vote share analysis concluded that of the 112 winners of BJD, 68 (60.71%) won with less than 50 % of total votes polled in their constituencies.
Meanwhile, 15 (22.38%) out of 67 winners analyzed with declared criminal cases have won with a vote share of 50%. “Around 45 (30.82%) winners won with 50% and above of the total votes polled in their constituency. This includes the 33 crorepatis, while 101 (69.17%) winners won with less than 50% of the total votes polled in their constituency,” the report said.
1. 26 of 67 winners with declared criminal cases have won against a runner up with a clean background
2. Among these 26 winners, 2 winners have won with more than 20% margin of victory
3. Among these, Soumya Ranjan Patnaik (BJD) from Khandapada constituency won with 60.5% margin of victory
4. There are 38 winners with a clean background who have won against a runner up with declared criminal cases. Of these 38 winners, 6 have won with more than 25% margin of victory
Crorepati winners and their margin of victory
1. 37 out of 95 crorepati winners have won against a non-crorepati runner up
2. Among these 37 winners, 3 have won with more than 20% margin of victory
3. Among these, Latika Pradhan (BJD) from Kabisuryanagar constituency won with 33.38% margin of victory
4. There are 22 non-crorepati winners who have won against crorepati runners up. 2 of them have won with more than 25% of the vote share.
Performance of women winners
1. Among the 146 winners, 13 are women
2. Among the women winners, Latika Pradhan (BJD) from Kabisuryanagar constituency won with the highest vote share, i.e. 62.87 % in her constituency and 33.38% of margin of victory
Performance of re-elected winners
1. Of the total 60 re-elected winners, 20 (33.33%) won with more than 50% of vote share
2. 12 re-elected winners won with less than 5% of margin of victory whereas only 8 won with more than 20% of the margin of victory.