Visakhapatnam: One person died after consuming contaminated meat and country-made liquor in the Vizag Agency area on Sunday. Five others are undergoing treatment at King George Hospital.
The incident occurred at Nogeli village under Dumbriguda Mandal in Vizag Agency.
The deceased was a 45-year-old farmer Pangi Sintro. Sintro’s family had prepared meat and arranged some liquor for a family get-together on Sunday. However, soon after eating the food, Sintro and five others fell sick in the afternoon. While Sintro died in the village, the five others, including three men and two women, were admitted to the primary health centre (PHC) at Araku Valley. Pangi Damodhar, Pangi Ghasi, B. Viswanatham, Korra Kalima and Korra Polamma were given first aid treatment at the PHC and later shifted to King George Hospital in Vizag city. The condition of the two women is said to be critical.
Inspector of the Araku Valley police station, P. Pydayya, said a team visited the village and collected some food samples to be sent to the Regional Forensic Science Laboratory in Vizag city. As a precautionary measure, the police destroyed the contaminated meat and liquor.
The police dismissed the possibility of a conspiracy saying their investigation has revealed that there were no disputes or rivalry among the families who had come together for the party. A case under Section 174 of CrPC (suspicious death) has been registered and investigation is underway. CPM leaders and activists have demanded the enforcement officials take action against those who are preparing and selling hooch and said the country-made liquor caused the food poisoning, the police said.