New Delhi: A fire broke out in the luggage van cum generator room in Chandigarh-Kochuvalli Express on Friday.
The incident took place around 1:40 pm when the train was standing at the platform number eight of the New Delhi Railway station. A total of 12 fire tenders were sent on the site.
“Fire broke out in the rear power car of 12218 Chandigarh Kochuvalli Express at around 13.40 hrs. The fire brigade reached at the site and soon the fire was extinguished,” Northern Railway spokesperson Deepak Kumar said.
According to Chief Fire Officer Atul Garg, “The reason of the fire is yet to be ascertained but as soon as the fire broke out 12 fire tenders along with fire officials were sent on the spot and soon fire was brought under control. No casualty or injury were reported in the incident.”
Tweeting about the incident, Union Railway minister Piyush Goyal wrote that all the passengers have been safely evacuated and senior officials are at the spot.