Hyderabad: Investigations into the fire mishap in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) of Shine Hospital in Hyderabad indicate that the refrigerator in the NICU of the hospital might have led to the fire mishap.
A detailed investigation by the electricity department and the fire department has begun to ascertain the exact cause of the fire and how it occurred.
Speaking to media, DCP LB Nagar Sunpreet Singh said the incident could have occurred due to an electrical short circuit in the refrigerator which then led to the fire. Mr Singh said, “We have already asked the electricity and fire departments to identify the exact cause of the fire that led to this unfortunate incident.”
Though staff were present near the ward when the fire broke out, the thick smoke that spread the area, prevented them from reaching out to the children in the NICU.
Based on reports from the fire and electricity department, cases will be registered according to the relevant provisions Singh said. He also confirmed that a child had died in the incident, and the other children shifted to other hospitals care.
Visited fire Accident spot which occurred in the early hours today where in one child died & 5 others injured after a massive fire broke out at Shine hospital in LB Nagar.where six children were admitted. Demanded investigation and arrest of management. @BJP4India @drlaxmanbjp pic.twitter.com/EGXyV0O3FL
— N Ramchander Rao (@RaoMlc) October 21, 2019
Investigations reveal that the fire safety equipment in the hospital was not enough. The building does not have a fire alarm system in place, not a proper fire exit. As the building is less than 15 meters in height, the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) officials will inspect the building to check if the safety arrangements were in place.