Hyderabad: A major fire broke out in the industrial area of Nacharam on Thursday night around 11:30 pm due to blast in a boiler. Six workers who were inside the factory escaped while one was seriously injured when he jumped off the building to save himself.
The fire department has rushed to the spot and rescued the factory inmates. The incident happened at SGR Chemicals Limited in Nacharam. As schools and residential colonies surround the industrial area, people expressed serious concerns.
Officials said that the extra pressure built up inside the boilers due to overheating and a mix of sulphuric acid led to the fire breakout.
“There is only one casualty so far. The situation is under control, and the residents in the area are safe,” said M Mahesh, Inspector o police Nacharam police station.
Regional Fire Officer Papapaih told Newsmeter, “Sulphuric acid at the fire spot has created more trouble. One person who tried to escape by jumping off the building got injured,”
Property damage is estimated to be around 8-9 lack. Officials said is the sixth chemical fire incident in the year 2019 in the city,
Meanwhile, responding to the concerns of locals about the incident, Minister for Municipal Administration of Telangana K T Rama Rao tweeted and said the action would be taken. He said, “We are seriously concerned about the polluting (Red/Orange) industries & adjoining residential neighbourhoods. We will make sure to move these industries outside of ORR in a phased manner.”.
We are seriously concerned about the polluting (Red/Orange) industries & adjoining residential neighbourhoods
— KTR (@KTRTRS) September 13, 2019