Hyderabad cops have a lot to explain over woman's suicide in front of police station

By Newsmeter Network  Published on  4 Jan 2020 8:52 AM GMT
Hyderabad cops have a lot to explain over womans suicide in front of police station

Hyderabad: The alleged self-immolation of a 45-year-old woman in front of the Punjagutta police station in Hyderabad has raised many questions on the response system of the city cops.

It has been found that the victim had complained to the police that her husband Praveen had sexually assaulted her and financially cheated her. However, no action was initiated against him. While the police maintained that they had been in touch with Praveen over the phone and monitoring his movements, what stopped them from not registering an FIR on the victim’s complaint remains unanswered.

After setting herself on fire, the severely burnt victim had said that she had come there to meet the ACP of Punjagutta to apprise the officer of her complaint and seek his intervention. But why she took the extreme step even before meeting him and how a representation letter went missing from her hands is another mystery that needs to be unravelled.

Following the brutal rape and murder of veterinarian Disha by four drunk men, who also burnt her body at Shadnagar, the entire police force in Telangana has been advocating the need for an immediate response to victims, particularly women. However, the Punjagutta case is a clear departure from their well-publicised stand.

Sources said the red-faced top police brass has ordered an inquiry into the Punjagutta suicide case. Officials from the special branch of Hyderabad city police have begun speaking to those who were present at the spot when the woman set herself afire.

The sub-inspector and other personnel whom the victim had first approached with her complaint are also on the radar. While the bosses are tightlipped about the developments, disciplinary action will likely be taken against at least two or more cops from the police station for negligence.

Meanwhile, the woman's husband Praveen has suddenly gone incommunicado by switching off his phone. While the police have gone on a damage control mode and registered a case against Praveen, he is yet to be arrested.

Next Story
Share it