Hyderabad: Salman Khan and Bhagyasree’s Maine Pyaar Kiya, directed by Sooraj Barjatya, is one of the best romantic love stories made in Bollywood. Maine Pyaar Kiya was released on December 29, 1989. Here is some trivia about it.
1. Maine Pyaar Kiya was dubbed in English and titled – When Love Calls and it was the biggest hit in the Caribbean market at Guyana. It dominated the box-office collections at Trinidad and Tobago. It was also dubbed in Spanish and was titled – Te Amo.
2. Sooraj Barjatya was unsure whether Salman could pull-off the lead role of Prem. Moreover, he was not very happy with Salman’s first audition. However, it is said that the portfolio pictures of the actor spoke a different story.
3. Maine Pyaar Kiya has become such a blockbuster, that it took home seven Filmfare Awards from the 13 nominations it received in 1990.
4. Despite the runaway success, Salman Khan had no work for almost a year. That is when his lyricist and screenplay writer-father Salim Khan published an advertisement in a trade magazine that Salman had been by a top producer for a biggie and that’s when offers started pouring in.
5. Many newcomers from the industry had auditioned for the role, including Vindoo Dara Singh, Deepak Tijori and Faraaz Khan were all considered before Salman was cast. Reports also suggest that Faraaz Khan was almost finalised for the role but was replaced at the eleventh hour because of health issues.
6. While shooting for one of the scenes, Salman had to apply Iodex on Bhagyasree’s ankle and he closed his eyes while doing it and called it ridiculous. Zeenat Aman, in an interview later, said that closing eyes while rubbing mid-thigh can be understood but not in the case of ankle. To this Salman had replied her that the actress was actually hurt below the knee but she was not ready to expose even the knee, so he had to do it on the ankle instead.