Missing Mangalghat Covid suspect’s body found in Gandhi mortuary

By Dheeshma Puzhakkal  Published on  20 Jun 2020 8:11 AM GMT
Missing Mangalghat Covid suspect’s body found in Gandhi mortuary

Hyderabad: The body of a Covid-19 suspect who went missing from Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad on June 1 has been recovered from Gandhi mortuary. The body was recovered after a 20-day search by the Hyderabad police and the man’s family.

The 29- year-old man was admitted in Gandhi Hospital on 29 May after developing symptoms of Covid-19. According to his family, the man was in touch with them till May 31. Since June 1, the family members could not contact him and they approached the hospital authorities.

According to the victim’s family, the hospital allegedly did not cooperate with them in figuring out the whereabouts of the man. Finally, the family members themselves searched for the man for nearly a week. On June 6, the man’s mother approached Mangalhat police station and a missing FIR was filed.

Before being admitted to Gandhi, he underwent treatment in Osmania General Hospital on May 29 and King Koti Hospital on May 30. After he developed Covid-19 symptoms, he was shifted to Gandhi in an ambulance.

“Initially, the Gandhi Hospital authorities denied the fact that the man was even admitted to the hospital. Then the Hyderabad police questioned the staff of King Koti Hospital and the ambulance driver who shifted the man to Gandhi emergency department on May 30. His family is asserting that the man was in contact with them till May 31 and told them that he was shifted to Gandhi. The police also established the fact by checking the cell phone signals at Gandhi Hospital tower. Though there are CCTV cameras in Gandhi, none of them is working and hence, footage could not be collected,” said Amjad Ullah Khan, spokesperson from MBT who is in regular contact with the man’s family.

Mr Khan has also demanded a CID probe into the matter.

The Mangalghat police Station House Inspector, G Ranaveer Reddy told NewsMeter that the investigation is still on. "The investigation is still on. We have visited Gandhi multiple times. The deceased's name has not been registered in any of the hopsital records. When exactly he died and the reasons behind his death needs to be investigated," said the officer.

Next Story
Share it