Prakasam: At least nine workers involved in chilli cultivation died from electrocution when a tractor on which they were traveling rammed a high tension electric pole at Raparla village under Naguluppalapadu in Prakasam district of Andhra Pradesh on Thursday. The impact caused the electric cable to snap and fall on the victims killing them on the spot.
Four persons have suffered severe injuries and their condition is said to be critical. The police said that the driver lost control due to over speeding and overloading due to which he hit the electric pole.
As per sources over 25 workers were reportedly onboard the tractor at the time of the incident. The deceased and the injured belonged to Machavaram village in Prakasam district.
The police have rushed to the spot and shifted the injured to various hospitals for treatment.