Vishakapatnam: One more person succumbed to the styrene gas in Venkatapuram area of Gopalapatnam in Visakhapatnam, the officials said on Wednesday. She was identified as Pala Venkayyamma, 73, who was hospitalised after exposure to the gas that leaked from the LG Polymers Private Limited earlier this month.
The lady died while availing treatment at the King George Hospital. On 26 May, her condition deteriorated and she died late on Tuesday evening. The incident came to light only on Wednesday. The police confirmed the death but the medical teams of the KGH are yet to confirm if the death is linked to the styrene gas.
It may be recalled that 12 people, including two children, died when the styrene vapour leaked from the LG Polymers plant at RR Venkatapuram in Vizag on 7 May. Over 500 fell ill after inhaling the harmful styrene gas. If the woman’s death is linked to the gas, the toll in the tragedy will increase to 13.
Dr G Arjuna, Superintendent of the KGH, said that the woman was admitted to the hospital on 8 May (a day after the styrene leakage) and she was discharged from the hospital on 13 May and was also given a compensation of Rs one lakh.
Minister M Srinivasa Rao and District Collector Vinay Chand said that the woman was readmitted on 19 May when her condition turned critical and she died on Tuesday. The reasons for her death are yet to be established through postmortem.