New Delhi: Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao met Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi on Friday evening and submitted memorandums on several demands for industry, irrigation, reservations, education, etc. During the meeting that continued for more than an hour, KCR briefed the Prime Minister about twenty-three significant issues.
The list of demands submitted by the Telangana CM includes the revival of Cement Corporation of India (CCI) unit in Adilabad district and set up a steel plant at Bayyaram in Khammam district. In his memorandum, the Telangana Chief Minister proposed a reservation of 37 per cent for BCs, 15 per cent for SCs and 10 per cent for STs in education and employment.
KCR is also keen on getting the Defence land in Secunderabad for Secretariat building and widening of highways in the cantonment area. The Chief Minister has offered state government’s land in exchange of defence land.
Telangana CM has further requested the Centre to extend financial assistance of Rs 5,000 crore and Rs 19,205 crore to Mission Kakatiya and Mission Bhagiratha respectively as recommended by NITI Aayog.
List of demands, as put forward by KCR:
- Release Rs 450 crore — the fifth instalment of assistance for backward districts in Telangana as per State Reorganisation Act.
- The revival of Cement Corporation of India, Adilabad District with the help of NHAI (National Highways Authority of India).
- Increase the number of Judges in Telangana High Court from 24 to 42.
- Establishment of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) in Telangana.
- The sanction for Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER).
- The sanction for 23 Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNV) in new districts.
- Pending Railway Projects in Telangana State: requirement of funds for completion and expediting the work.
- Financial Assistance to Mission Kakatiya and Mission Bhagiratha as recommended by NITI Aayog (Rs 5,000 crore and Rs 19,205 crore).
- Setting up of Steel Plant at Bayyaram in Khammam District — Reorganisation Act provided for it.
- Release of funds for National Investment and Manufacturing Zone (NIMZ) at Zaheerabad, Medak District.
- Setting up of National Institute of Design (NID) at Hyderabad (Its location was shifted to Visakhapatnam after bifurcation).
- Sub-categorisation of SC’s in the State of Telangana (Assembly resolution).
- Sanction for IIIT under PPP model at Karimnagar.
- Enhancement of reservations for BC’s in employment and education (BC 37%, SC 15%, ST 10%).
- 33% Reservation for OBCs and Women in Parliament and State Legislatures: Assembly Resolution.
- Development of Hyderabad — Nagpur and Warangal-Hyderabad Industrial Corridors.
- PMGSY (Prime Minister Gram Sadak Yojana) allotment of funds for upgrading 4,000 km for better connectivity in backward regions.
- Road works in Left Wing Extremism affected areas: GoI should bear full cost instead of 60:40.
- Full central funding for Tribal University as Central University in Warangal.
- One time Grant-in-Aid of Rs 1,000 crore for the Warangal Textile Park
- Ramappa Temple — Declared as World Heritage Site.
- Flood flow canal — sanction of revised cost.
- Exchange of Defence lands with State Government Lands for secretariat building and widening of Highways in the cantonment area.