Vishakapatnam: Around 20 police personnel serving with the Andhra Pradesh police were affected in the LG Polymer Gas leakage. The cops were involved in the rescue operation on May 7th.
As per reports, the leakage started around 2.30 am from LG Polymers plant at RR Venkatapuram village, Visakhapatnam, in Andhra Pradesh. Due to the gas leak (Styrene Monomer), people living in over 4-kilometer radius suffered from vomiting and breathing problems. Panic gripped the area as people ran out of their houses for safety.
Vishakapatnam Gas Leakage Evacuation Operation
MAy 7th, 2020 • 3.25 AM: Arun Kumar (Citizen) called Dial 100 and informed about gas leakage to VSKP City Police Control Room. The Control Room staff alerted Gopalapatanam Station Staff.
• 3:26 AM: SI Satyanarayana with four others left for R.R. Venkatapuram Village by the Rakshak Vehicle.
• 3.35 AM: SI Satyanaraya along with his staff reached to R.R. Venkatapuram and realized the criticality of the situation and relayed the information to Marripalem Fire Station. He called for ambulances.
• Meanwhile CI of Kancharapalem (Night In-charge), RI Bhagavan, Ganesh SI (Gajuwaka P.S) rushed to the scene.
• 3:40 AM: Police started the evacuation process by shifting affected people to safe zone. Evacuation of 4,500 families living in the vicinity begun. Police entered into houses and woke up sleeping families and shifted them.
• City Control alerted all Rakshaks and Highway Patrolling Vehicles. Meanwhile, 2 Quick Action teams were deployed.
• 3:45 AM: Fire Department staff, reached the scene and augmented efforts of Police with fire fighting vehicle and alerted the people of the village.
• 12 -Rakshaks, 6- 108 vehicles, 4 Highway Patrolling Vehicles reached the spot between 3.45 AM to 4.00 AM and evacuated the families from R.R venkatapuram, R.venkatadri Nagar, SC/BC Colony.
• 4:30 AM: Commissioner of Police Vizag and his deputy with 2 others joined the evacuation operation. The cops went from house to house to check that citizens are moved to safety. Deputy Commissioner of Police was affected as he inhaled the styrene gas .
• In this entire operation, Cop T. Bhagwan, Circle Inspector Ramanniah , Sub Inspector Satyanarayana and Police constable Nagaraju have been hospitalized. 20 police personnel are suffering with mild symptoms.
• After 7.00 AM, National Disaster Relief Force & State force teams reached the location and took up evacuation.