Warangal: Fifty-one students of Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV) of Mupparam village in Dharmasagar mandal, Warangal urban district, got food poisoning on the night of 20 February after consuming the mess food. A teacher also fell sick. The students were immediately rushed to the MGM Hospital at midnight and were discharged on Friday morning after receiving treatment.
The students were served rice, potato curry, and sambar for dinner in the hostel mess. Within hours, all of them had diarrhea and vomiting. Resident medical officer (RMO) B. Harish Raj said a team of doctors was immediately deputed to treat the students for food poisoning. He said all the students and the teacher were out of danger and were discharged. A medical camp was also set up at the hostel to monitor the health of the remaining students.
The students blamed the negligence of the mess contractor Dharma Raju and accused him of serving poor quality food and serving bad vegetables. They demanded action against the contractor immediately.
Warangal urban district education officer (DEO) K. Narayana Reddy said they are investigating the incident and have collected food samples from the hostel. He assured that strict action would be taken against the mess contractor.