Bodies of 4 rape accused in Disha's rape handed over to families

By Newsmeter Network  Published on  23 Dec 2019 3:12 PM GMT
Bodies of 4 rape accused in Dishas rape handed over to families

Hyderabad: A team of three AIIMS-Delhi doctors conducted re-autopsy of the four accused in Disha’s gang rape and murder case at Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad. The bodies of the four accused were handed over to their respective families seventeen days after police shot them dead in an alleged encounter at Shadnagar.

Following High Court instructions, a special team from AIIMS arrived in Hyderabad on December 23. The team comprised of Dr Sudhir Gupta — Head of Forensic at AIIMS — Dr Abhishek Yadav, and Dr Adarsh Kumar. The doctors conducted the re-autopsy under camera surveillance, recording the procedure. No doctors from Gandhi Hospital were allowed to participate. The hospital provided the team with a hall comprising of equipment for the re-autopsy, which they completed in five hours.

Officials will submit the video recording to the Registrar General of the High Court. Meanwhile, authorities handed over the bodies of the four accused to their families amidst tight security.

Speaking to media, Dr P Shravan Kumar — Superintendent of Gandhi Hospital — said, “Except for the hall, equipment, and computer, the team brought along the required electronic devices such as CD, pen-drives, and more. The families of the four came after the procedure to identify and collect the body. A special team from law and order escorted the families to their village.”

Telangana police shot dead Mohammad Areef, Jollu Shiva, Jollu Naveen, and Chenakeshavulu, on December 6 in an alleged gunfight. According to the police, they had taken the accused to Shadnagar to re-construct the crime scene. During which two of the accused snatched a revolver and tried to attack the cops. The cops added that they had to shoot the four amidst the firefight.

State doctors performed the first autopsy at Mahabubnagar Government Hospital, and the bodies were shifted to Mahabubnagar Medical College for preservation. Later, the bodies were moved to Gandhi Hospital. According to hospital officials, the bodies were damaged when taken for re-autopsy.

Next Story
Share it