Adilabad: District Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission asked the Telangana Northern Power Distribution Company Limited (TSNPDCL) to Rs two lakh to the family of a 22-year-old youth who died of electrocution 11 years ago.
The case dates back to January 24, 2010, when K Ashok, 22, a resident of Reganguda village in Bheempur Mandal in Adilabad district died on the spot while removing a cell phone charger from the extension box. His fingers accidentally touched the plug pin of the charger and due to the high voltage, he was electrocuted.
A case was also registered in Tamsi police station and post mortem examination was also conducted.
The family alleged that due to TSNPDCL's failure, K Ashok died. He was the sole breadwinner of the family and after his passing, they faced a severe financial crisis.
TSNPDCL said that the accident occurred due to a damaged cell phone charger wire, defective extension box. The power company said the deceased ought to have been careful. The company said Ashok died due to his own negligence and carelessness.
TSNPDCL said they are not liable for any claim of compensation and even ex-gratia.
After hearing both sides, the commission said a single-phase 230V shock will not take the life of a person, and certainly, there was a fluctuation in the power supply. Due to sudden high voltage, Ashok was electrocuted, the commission said.
The commission said the petitioner is justified in seeking ex-gratia from the power company. The commission directed TSNPDCL to pay Rs one lakh ex-gratia and compensation of another Rs one lakh with interest at 9 percent per annum to the complainant. The commission also asked TSNPDCL to pay Rs.1,000 as a legal cost.