Hyderabad: Finally ending the suspense on the petition seeking custody of the four accused in the rape and murder of Disha, Shadnagar court granted seven-day custody on December 4. On Monday, police filed a petition before the court seeking custody of the accused for ten days. However, the hearing was postponed until Wednesday, when the court passed the orders. The custody begins on December 5 and ends on December 11.
The police had arrested the four accused on November 29 and produced them before the Executive magistrate, who sent them to judicial remand. Amid high security, officials shifted the accused to Cherlapally in Hyderabad.
During the custody, police are likely to interrogate the accused to get more details regarding the rape and murder, especially concerning how they did it. Besides, since the police are yet to recover the victim’s mobile phone, power bank and her wristwatch, they may question the accused on this aspect as well.
Meanwhile, Telangana government on Wednesday, December 4, has ordered to designate the First Additional District and Sessions Judge in Mahabubnagar for speedy trial in the gang rape and murder of Hyderabad veterinarian Disha (name changed).
The order, signed by A Santosh Reddy — Secretary to the government, legal affairs, legislative affairs and justice — asks the Registrar General of Telangana High Court to take further necessary action. Earlier, the Telangana government had appealed to the High Court for a speedy trial in the case.
Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao had called the four accused as animals and said the government would extend all help and support to the vet’s family.
Four men had raped and murdered Disha when she was on her way home on November 28. The perpetrators had burned the body, and the officials later found the charred body below an underpass near a tollgate, about 30 kilometres away from Shadnagar.
Dr Venugopala Rao. President, Foundation for Rural and Social Development(FRSD), NGO, Secunderabad, in solidarity with the issue has put forth a few suggestions for ensuringjustice to Disha.
1. There is a need to sustain the movement in various forms till the goal is achieved by forming the JAC like in Delhi for many days..
2. Goal of the movement should be to amend the Nirbhaya Act by not providing any scope for further legal options like curative etc., for offenders and fix time limit to execute the judgement.
3. The Act should be passed in this Parliament session itself.
4. Simultaneously pressurize the police and judiciary here to expedite the legal process here and see the judge give ‘hang till death ” punishment by Judge.
5. Launch signature campaign to amend the Act and send it to P.M. and MPs and CMs of all States.
6. Pressurise the State governments to close wine shops on ORRs.
7. Sustain the movement by undertaking one activity peacefully for one month continuously.
8. Involve lawyers, Media,Cinema industry, Colony associations presidents(by sending letters to them), NGOs, all India women associations and slowly to the rural areas.
9. See that protests take place only in designated places,so as not to disturb the people for their day today life.