HYDERABAD: A video of a two-wheeler bursting into flames is viral on social media with a claim that the vehicle was an electric scooter that caught fire. Netizens are sharing the video with the text, "Accident on a battery-charged scooter."
The claim is false.
NewsMeter noticed a logo named the 'PTC news' logo and the date stamp in the video and searched for the original video and found the clip posted on PTC News' Facebook page on 6 November 2021.
The caption when translated reads, "Horrific death of father and son brought by firecrackers, huge explosion."
Taking this a hint, NewsMeter searched for reports on such an incident and found news reports by Times Now and The Tribune. According to the reports, a father-son duo were killed in an accident after the local fireworks they bought for Diwali celebrations exploded in the motorbike they were travelling. Police informed that while they were crossing Kottakuppam village, the firecrackers in one of the bags accidentally exploded resulting in a heavy explosion leading both the father and son dead on the spot.
Speaking to The Indian Express, Villupuram SP N Shreenatha, who visited the spot, said that 37-year-old Kalainesan had bought two bags of "Naattu Pattasu" (country crackers) from Puducherry and while riding back the crackers might have exploded due to heat caused by friction.
Hindustan Times and India Today carried a video report on the incident as well.
Evidently, the claim that the electric scooter caught fire resulting in two deaths is false.