A long message about the family members of Prime Minister Narendra Modi is viral on social media.
"Some interesting little known info on Modi family", the message reads.
The message contains some names. It claims that they are the family members of the Prime Minister.
1. Somabhai Modi (75 yrs) retired health officer, is currently Chairman of the recruitment board in Gujarat.
2. Amritbhai Modi (72 yrs) earlier employed in a private factory is the largest real estate businessman in Ahmedabad & Gandhinagar.
3. Prahlad Modi (64 yrs) had a ration shop, currently has Hyundai, Maruti, and Honda Four Wheeler Show Rooms in Ahmedabad & Vadodara.
4. Pankaj Modi (58 yrs) earlier in the Information Department, today is with Somabhai as the Vice President in the recruitment board.
5. Bhogilal Modi (67 yrs), who was the owner of a grocery store, today is the owner of Reliance Mall in Ahmedabad, Surat, and Vadodara.
6. Arvind Modi (64 yrs) was a scrap dealer and is now a contractor of steel to real estate & major construction companies.
7. Bharat Modi (55 yrs) was working at a petrol pump. Today, he owns the Agiaras Petrol Pump in Ahmedabad.
8. Ashok Modi (51 yrs) owned a kite and grocery store. Today, he is a partner with Bhogilal Modi in Reliance Mall.
9. Chandrakant Modi (48 yrs) was working in a Gaushala. Today, he has nine large dairy production centers in Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar.
10. Ramesh Modi (57 years) who was working as a teacher, today owns five schools, 3 Engineering colleges, Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Physiotherapy colleges and Medical colleges.
11. Bhargava Modi (44 yrs), who was working at a tuition center, is a partner in Ramesh Modi's institutions.
12. Bipin Modi (42 yrs) used to work in Ahmedabad Library. Today, he is a partner in a book publishing firm supplying school books from KG to Standard 12.
1 to 4 are PM Modi's brothers.
5 to 9, Modi's cousins.
10 Jagjivan Das Modi, uncle's son.
11 Bhargava Kantilal and 12 Bipin are sons of Jayantilal Modi, PM's youngest uncle.
It is said that Modi does not help his relatives! But all of them are millionaires.
This message has been shared many times on Twitter and Facebook.
The viral claim is FALSE and far from the truth.
According to reports, PM's eldest brother Sombhai, 75, lives at Vadnagar. He has never been a member of any recruitment board.
PM's elder brother, Amrutbhai, 72, retired as a fitter of a private company, drawing a salary of less than Rs 10,000 in 2005. He leads a quiet, retired life in his four-room middle-class dwelling in Ahmedabad's Ghatlodia locality with son Sanjay, 47, a small entrepreneur, and his wife and two children. Sanjay's son Nirav and daughter Nirali are both engineering students. An ITI certificate holder, Sanjay fashions small engineering spare parts at his lathe machine shop and makes a modest living. The family car, bought in 2009, is parked outside the house, covered. It is sparingly used as the family mostly travels by two-wheeler.
Sanjay's family, who confess they are yet to see the inside of a passenger plane, have met Modi only twice --once in 2003 when as CM, he hosted a family gathering at his Gandhinagar home, and then on May 16, 2014, the day the BJP fashioned that historic Lok Sabha victory (again at his Gandhinagar residence).
Everyone in the Sattadhar tenement society where they stay knows Amrutbhai is the prime minister's brother. But as a local anecdote goes, officials at the bank where Sanjay has an account don't know this. His son Priyank was recently spotted in a long queue to withdraw money.
Prahlad Modi doesn't have Hyundai, Maruti, and Honda Four Wheeler Show Rooms in Ahmedabad and Vadodara or anywhere else. He is not in the automobile business at all. Bharat Modi doesn't own a petrol pump and likewise contrary to sheer lies presented in these messages circulating online.
Therefore, the claims made in the message about PM Narendra Modi's family are all FALSE.