Visakhapatnam: Fire broke out in Chaitanya College Valmiki hostel, currently being used as a Covid care centre, located near Marikavalasa in Vizag city, on 24th August. At the time of the incident, there were 60 covid patients in the fourth and fifth floor of the building.
Fortunately, no injuries and casualties were reported in the incident. The fire erupted in the computer room of the first floor of the building around 7 pm, Police said.
Minutes after the alarm was raised, the patients in the building were shifted to nearby another block by the police and staff. Fire service personnel’s timely intervention helped doused the fire.
Investigators suspect a short circuit to be the reason behind the mishap.
A fire broke out in Chaitanya College Valmiki hostel covid care centre near Marikavalasa under PM Palem police station limits in #Vizag on Monday evening.
Fortunately, no casualties were reported in the incident. The fire erupted in the computer room of the first floor. pic.twitter.com/WMbodDbOGU
— NewsMeter (@NewsMeter_In) August 24, 2020
Eye witnessed and attenders of the COVID-19 patients in the building helped the police in dousing the fire and shifting the patients to another building.
“The computer room was not in use since the lockdown was imposed. However, fire broke out on Monday evening due to a short circuit. Over 30 computers and some files were gutted in the fire mishap. The district administration has been running the COVID-19 Care Center” a cop at the site said.
It may be recalled that, 10 people died in a fire mishap at the hotel turned COVID Care Center of Ramesh Hospital in Vijayawada on August 9.