Hyderabad: Coming down heavily on the police, the High Court has ordered a CBI probe into the illegal detention of three missing persons at Guntur.
Last year Guntur Urban Police had “illegally” detained three persons. Later they tried to mislead the court by submitting a report in contravention of the facts. The police report didn’t match with the judicial enquiry report prompting the High Court to hand over the case to CBI.
Expressing anguish over the attitude of Guntur Urban Police, the bench of Justice Rakesh Kumar and Justice Ramesh directed CBI to probe the case. The High court observed that the police administration in AP reminds the days of emergency. The case is posted for June 17 when next hearing will be held.
The case dates back to October 29 when the family members of N Adinarayana, R.Sreenivasa Rao, and T Sreenivas Rao lodged a missing complaint with Pattabhipuram police. The family said their three members have been missing since October 14.
The wives of missing persons also filed a habeas corpus petition in the High Court seeking directions to produce their husbands. High Court directed the police to carry out a comprehensive investigation and submit report on October 31.
In the meantime Chebrolu police arrested three persons on the charges of cricket betting and produced them before the magistrate. However, they told the court that they have been in the police custody since October 14. The copies of their statements were produced by their wives in the High Court.
High Court later ordered a judicial enquiry to find out the role of police in the entire episode. The principal senior civil judge, who carried out the inquiry, submitted his report to High Court on Tuesday. However, police have differed with the judicial report.