Is the dark colour of your lips giving you moments of embarrassment? Well! Worry not! We have a list of quick picks for you. Just as how the skin tone varies from person to person, so does the colour of your lips. Some people have baby pink lips, and some have dark lips. There is no need to worry as you can lighten your dark lips naturally. There are umpteen home remedies for dark lips, and we will tell you how to get rosy pink lips without burning a hole in your pocket. So, read on!
Causes of Dark Blackness on lips:
Lips are several times more sensitive than our skin. Here are some of the most common causes that lead to dark lips.
- Dehydration is the main reason for our lips turning dark. Water is essential to prevent parched and dry lips that can make our lips look dark.
- Nicotine in cigarettes also leads to dark lips, so for those who desire pink lips, this would be the time to give up smoking.
- Sun exposure: Excessive sun exposure to lips can cause it to turn dark. Just as how sun damage is terrible for our skin, so is it for our lips.
- Hormonal changes: This is common during pregnancy and among those who have thyroid-related issues.
- Excessive caffeine use: Excessive coffee drinking is another unhealthy habit that ends up turning our lips dark, so it is best to let this habit go or use it in moderation.
- Underlying medical conditions can also cause your lips to darken, such as cancer treatment and less blood in our body as in anemia, etc.
- Side effects of medications can cause our lips to become dark in colour. They are medicines that treat cancer, or at times even some medicines used to replenish iron in our body, etc.
How to Get Pink Lips from Dark Black Lips:
1. Lemon and Honey:
Lemon with honey is an excellent combination, which goes a long way in dark lips treatment at home. The honey moisturizes the lips and makes them soft. The citric acid in lemon helps in lightening the lips. It also has bleaching properties. Store the remaining mixture for future use. You must do it at least once daily and in a few weeks, you will be able to note the results. Now, note the ingredients and method of usage.
Ingredients: Lemon and Honey
- In a bowl, take honey and lemon in 1: 1 ratio or equal quantities.
- Apply a sufficient amount on the lips.
- Allow this to remain for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently wipe your lips and rinse with water.
2. Almond Oil and Lemon Juice:
Did you ever notice almond oil present in the ingredients of cosmetics for lip care? Almond oil keeps the lips soft and supple. It has emollient properties and helps in transforming dark lips to pink lips naturally. Try this remedy now.
Ingredients: Almond oil and Lemon Juice
- Just a drop of almond oil alone can help in keeping the lips well moisturized.
- Sometimes dry and chapped lips can make one look dull and unattractive.
- Apply almond oil with lemon juice on the lips at bedtime.
- Let it remain overnight.
- Wash and rinse with water in the morning.
3. Beetroot Juice and Honey:
You already know the fantastic staining properties of beetroot. It can stain almost anything that comes in touch with it, like our skin, hair, and even lips. This is a fool-proof method of obtaining pink lips. Here is how you do it.
Ingredients: Beetroot juice, Honey
- Take the juice of beetroot and honey (1:1 ratio)
- Mix well in a bowl.
- Dab a piece of cotton in the mixture and gently apply on your lips.
- The honey will help to moisturize, and the beetroot juice will aid in giving a light pink hue to your lips.
4. Baking Soda Lip Scrub:
Baking soda is an excellent and readily available ingredients in all kitchens. Baking soda is a well-known exfoliator often used to remove dead cells not only from our skin but from our lips too. This gradually lightens the colour of the lips and helps you in turning your black lips to pink lips with regular usage. Check out the remedy ingredients.
Ingredients: Baking Soda, Water
- Make a thick paste by mixing water and baking soda.
- Ensure that the paste is not runny inconsistency.
- Rub this paste gently on the lips so that the abrasive action removes the dead skin from our lips.
- After this rinse the lips, and apply almond oil to keep the lips well moisturized.
5. Cucumber Juice:
You must be already knowing that cucumber is an active ingredient in remedies used for lighting the skin under eyes. Apart from lightening dark circles under the eyes, cucumber has the potential to lighten your lips too. The collagen it contains along with silica compounds, helps to keep our lips hydrated. Here is how to use cucumber to lighten your lip colour.
- Wash and peel a cucumber.
- Grate it and run it through a sieve to obtain the juice.
- Apply this juice on your lips.
- Let it stay for a few minutes
- Wash thoroughly with water. You can do this once a day to see visible results soon.
6. Turmeric and Milk:
Turmeric, the natural antibiotic, and the antiseptic ingredient is often a part of the skincare regime. Turmeric works like magic in giving you a glowing complexion. But did you know that turmeric also can effortlessly lighten your dark lips? Well! Our lips turn dark due to melanin. And, turmeric is the biggest inhibitor of melanin. This works well as a lip lightener for smokers. Check this out.
Ingredients: Turmeric powder, Milk
Use a sufficient quantity of turmeric and milk to make a paste.
Apply this on the lips and let it dry.
Once dry, rinse the lips well with water.
Apply almond or coconut oil to nourish and soften lips.
Another option would be to use water instead of milk.
Pomegranate is another ingredient that is useful in inhibiting melanin that causes lips to darken. There are simple home remedies using pomegranate to lighten lips naturally. Here is how to do it.
Ingredients: Pomegranate, milk cream
- Take some pomegranate seeds and add them to a blender along with milk cream.
- Blend well to form a paste.
- Add some rose water to this too.
- Apply on lips once a day.
- Rinse with water.
- Doing this regularly for a month will give you visible results.
8. Brown Sugar/Jaggery:
Brown sugar is one ingredient that works gently on the lips. It helps with exfoliation when used in combination with water. Brown sugar works best as a lip scrub similar to a scrub made with lemon and sugar. You must try this for quick results.
Ingredients: Brown Sugar and Water
- In a bowl, mix the above ingredients to form a paste and let the paste not be runny
- Use only an adequate amount of water.
- Rub this mixture gently on your lips to remove dead skin.
- Rinse with water.
- Use a suitable moisturizer for your lips.
9. Aloe Vera and Strawberries:
All berries are great for the skin, and so are they for our lips too. Strawberries especially are great ingredients to remove darkness around the lips. They help to lighten lips and make them look healthy when used in combination with Aloe Vera. Honey and the goodness of berries make this combo more effective. Use organic honey in this remedy, along with strawberries and Aloe Vera gel, which is readily available in any supermarket or your very own garden. Quickly note down the remedy process.
Ingredients: Strawberries, Aloe Vera gel, Honey
- Blend them all the three ingredients together
- Make a thick paste and gently apply on your lips.
- Let it remain for 20 minutes
- Rinse lips with water
- Doing this regularly will get you pink lips in no time.
What could be easier than drinking water as a remedy for dark lips? Well! Less intake of water is one of the prime reasons for our lips turning dark. Drink a sufficient quantity of water at regular intervals and watch your lips turn one shade lighter within the first few weeks. Here are ingredients you can add to your jug of water.
Ingredients: Water, Lemon, Cucumber
Ensure that you consume a sufficient quantity of water in a day and keep your body well hydrated.
At times when it gets tedious to drink plain water, one can always add lemon juice or cucumber.
Lips are an appealing feature for a woman. All you need is to follow a healthy diet and keep your lips well moisturized and supple. Exfoliate your lips once a week with homemade lip scrub for dark lips. Diligently following lip care routine will take care of your lip health and keep them looking pink and pretty! I hope you find the above home remedies useful. Do let us know which ones helped you the most.