Hyderabad: Two workers who were cleaning a septic tank at Gouthami Enclave in Kondapur here died of asphyxiation on Sunday. The workers fell unconscious while cleaning the septic tank.

Fire and police personnel reached the spot and retrieved the bodies of the victims and sent them to the hospital for post-mortem. The victims were identified as Srinivas (25) of Mahabubnagar and Anjaialu (38) of Nalgonda.

"The tank overflowed so the apartment owners contacted a contractor online to clean it. The contractor deployed a tanker but did not completely clean it. After that, two workers were sent in to clean the tank but they came out after they felt some uneasiness. Then the two victims entered the septic tank and died after they fell unconscious due to inhalation of poisonous gas," said Ramesh, sub-inspector of Gachibowli police station.

The Enclave security called the police after the incident. The fire department personnel pulled out the bodies of the victims. The police said the two men were not wearing any safety gear.

After the incident, the family members of the victims started protesting at the site of the incident demanding justice.

Newsmeter Network

An independent digital media platform that brings you credible news stories and Analysis of current affairs as they unfold.

Next Story