Hyderabad: Even before the tragic death of a techie could sink in, a 52-year-old man fell into an open Nala at Quthbullapur under Jeedimetla police station.

V Mohan, a resident of CPR Colony fell in an open Nala in Quthbullapur on late September 25 evening. Police, Greater Hyderabad Municipal Commission(GHMC), and Disaster Response Force have not been able to find the body even after five days.

Jeedimetla Police Station House Officer, K Balaraj said the missing person works in the MTR company. "On the fateful day, he went out with friends for a drink. They went to Royal Wines in the evening. He went out to smoke and relieve himself" said K Balaraj.

Later he was seen standing near the open Nala before falling into it. People rushed to rescue him but it was too late then.

Mohan Reddy's family filed a complaint the next day with Jeedimetla police. According to the police, they informed GHMC immediately about the incident.

"Since September 25, it has been raining heavily. A lot of water passed through that Nala. It passes through four police stations --Jeeditmetla, Balanagar, Begumpet, and Ramgopalpet -- and meets at Hussainsagar," said K Balaraj.

Police said since the Nala is around 12-14 km long and it is hard for the civic bodies and SDRF team to trace the body.

Meanwhile, the Telangana government on Tuesday suspended Manikonda municipality assistant engineer N. Vithoba for dereliction of duty. This followed the death of techie G Ram Rajinikanth after falling into an open Nala near Golden Temple in Manikonda on Saturday night.

His body was found in a channel leading to Ibrahim Cheruvu in Neknampur on Monday. A case has been registered against contractor Raj Kumar for negligence in installing appropriate signages near the Nala. The government also announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh for Rajnikanth's family. Rajnikanth had fallen into an under-construction stormwater drain on Saturday night at Golden Temple.

A software employee, G. Rajinikanth was caught on camera falling into a pit near the Golden Temple in Manikonda following moderate rainfall.

The incident occurred at the stormwater drain work site between Golden Temple and Tulip Gardens at around 9 pm on Saturday. Since Rajinikanth did not return home, the family lodged a complaint and a massive hunt was on since Saturday.

Forty-eight hours later, his body was fished out from Neknampur lake on Monday late afternoon. Pictures from the site of the accident showed that the drain was left uncovered.

Sumit Jha

Sumit Jha is currently a multimedia journalist with NewsMeter. An alumnus of the University of Hyderabad and Amity University. He is specialised in Video Production. He was also a contributor at PARI network. Hailing from rural Bihar has spent his childhood shifting from places and people. Growing up he felt the need to document the lives and dreams of rural India. A lover of visual storytelling goes around the cities to search for Stories. He primarily reports on civic, consumer, health, human interest and data stories. You can follow Sumit on Twitter @sumitjha__

Next Story