Explainer: Here's how Hyd, Rachakonda traffic police's one-time discount on pending challans will work

Rachakonda traffic DCP D. Srinivas said the work to provide this concession is currently in progress. “It will be live on the website soon,” he said.

By Amrutha Kosuru  Published on  25 Feb 2022 1:11 PM GMT
Explainer: Heres how Hyd, Rachakonda traffic polices one-time discount on pending challans will work

Hyderabad: Starting 1 March, the Hyderabad and Rachakonda traffic police will provide a 'one-time discount' on pending challans. According to the Hyderabad traffic police, this move has been taken keeping in mind the serious economic hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The scheme will be launched from 1 to 31 March 2022 and the payment must be done online.

Rachakonda traffic DCP D. Srinivas said the work to provide this concession is currently in progress. "It will be live on the website soon," he said.

The discount will be available only for challans pending under the Hyderabad and Rachakonda traffic police limits. According to sources, Cyberabad is expected to join this programme in a few days. However, there is no confirmation from the Cyberabad traffic police yet.

To avail of the discount, one can log into the Telangana traffic Integrated e-challan portal. Here, all challans that fall under the Hyderabad and Rachakonda traffic police limits will be listed on one side.

"The sum total of the pending challans will be displayed as usual. Just beside it, depending on the kind and model of vehicle, the discounted amount will be available," said Mr. Srinivas.

Click on 'Pay' and you will be redirected to a payment portal where you will be required to pay only the discounted amount.

Discount as per the category of vehicle

· Two-wheelers and autos: If 25% is paid, the remaining 75% pending challan will be waived off.

· Pushcarts and petty vendors (39b cases): If 20% is paid, 80% will be waived off.

· LMVs, cars, jeeps/heavy vehicles: If 50% is paid, the remaining 50% will be waived off.

· RTC drivers: If 30% is paid, 70% of pending challan amount will be waived off.

For example, if an individual has pending e-challans worth Rs. 1,000 (in the Hyderabad and Rachakonda traffic police limits) then he will be required to pay 25% of the amount, i.e., Rs. 250. Once the payment is made, the remaining amount will automatically be waived off.

The Hyderabad traffic police issued 80 lakh challans for the year ending December 2021. Of these, 60 lakh violations were related to not wearing helmets and breaking speed limits. Only 40% of violators have paid their challans. The remaining 60% have added to the ever-increasing defaulters which have now increased to 1.75 crore. The unpaid fines have touched Rs. 600 crore.

Earlier, the Hyderabad traffic chief told NewsMeter that the department is working on providing some respite to people who have not paid their challans so far. "The pandemic has pushed a lot of people into an economic crisis. As a humanitarian gesture and in an attempt to ease people's burdens, the Hyderabad traffic police will provide some respite by reducing the pending challan amount by a certain percentage," the officer had said.

The department is also studying the accident data of the last four-five years. Depending on the study, the Hyderabad traffic police will modify its work in an attempt to reduce accidents, over-speeding, and drunken driving.

Next Story
Share it