Water level in Musi rises; Moosarambagh bridge submerges, nearby houses inundated

Many of the low-lying places in the catchment areas of the Musi has also been inundated and water entered up to 5 feet in around 20 houses at Moosanagar area in Chanderghat on Wednesday early morning.

By Newsmeter Network  Published on  27 July 2022 8:58 AM GMT
Water level in Musi rises; Moosarambagh bridge submerges, nearby houses inundated

Hyderabad: Following the opening of the gates of Himayat Sagar and Osman Sagar reservoirs on 26 July and the rains of the last two days, the water level in the Musi river has been increasing. The water from Himayat Sagar reservoirs are being let out to the Musi river.



As of 12 am on 27 July, 13 gates of Osman Sagar have been opened up to 6 feet height and 8 gates of Himayat Sagar reservoirs have been opened up to 4 feet height. Both the reservoirs are almost full, close to their respective full tank level capacities. The present water level in Osman Sagar is 1789.10 feet with an inflow of 8000 cusecs and outflow of 8281 cusecs. In Himayat Sagar, the present water level is 1761.90 feet with an inflow of 8000 cusecs and outflow of 10,700 cusecs.




The Moosarambagh bridge got completely submerged and water was observed flowing over the bridge on the morning of 27 July. Many of the low-lying places in the catchment areas of the Musi has also been inundated and water entered up to 5 feet in around 20 houses at Moosanagar area in Chanderghat on Wednesday early morning. According to local sources, the water started entering homes after 2 am on Wednesday. In the Chanderghat area, 90 percent of the people have gone to their relatives' homes and the remaining 10 percent have been shifted to the Fauzia Masjid and to a nearby school.





The Chaderghat police said that from 11 pm on Tuesday night to 11 am on Monday morning, there is a heavy flow of water in Musi river and water has entered into houses in areas like Chaderghat, Shankar Nagar Kamal Nagar, Moosa Nagar, etc. All these houses have been submerged in the water, according to the police.


The Hyderabad Traffic Police on Wednesday said that the Moosarambagh bridge will be opened to the public likely by tomorrow, once the flood water recedes. "No traffic is allowed between Amberpet/ Kachiguda and Moosarambagh/ Malakpet.

In view of this there is heavy traffic congestion/ jam in the Dilsukhnagar-Malakpet-Chaderghat-Koti Stretch even at 12 pm today. Vehicle commuters are requested to avoid this road / stretch till tomorrow morning and take alternative routes," they said.



The traffic police had put out a notice on Tuesday evening saying that the Moosarambagh bridge will be closed.

Meanwhile, due to the heavy traffic jam, the chota bridge in Chanderghat was opened for the public when the water levels slightly decreased.

Independent weather observer T Balaji popular as Telangana Weatherman said that the water flow in Musi river is the highest since the October 2020 floods. "Combined inflow of 20,000 cusec into Musi river from twin reservoirs now. This should be the highest inflow in Musi river after 2020 October floods in Hyderabad now. If heavy rains, flow may even become worse," he tweeted.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday, the ORR service road in the city got inundated because of the heavy inflow of water into Musi river from the Himayat Sagar.

Next Story
Share it