Guntur: Despite a ban on the use of ‘manja’ threads in Andhra Pradesh, a three-year-old boy lost his life after a glass-coated thread slit his throat in Guntur on Monday.
The child was riding with his father and elder brother on a bike on Lanchester Road in Guntur when the tragedy struck.
The police said that K Durga Rao was riding, along with his two sons, to reach his mother-in-law's house in Guntur.
Durga Rao's younger son Kaushik was sitting on the petrol tank of the bike while his elder son was on the pillion. While they were travelling on the bike, a stray manja thread hanging from a lamp-post had tangled around Kaushik’s neck.
As Kaushik cried in pain with a bleeding neck, a shocked Durga Rao noticed and stopped the vehicle. Kaushik was immediately shifted to the Government Hospital.
The child, however, died of injuries within a few minutes of reaching the hospital.
The police have registered a case and carried out a raid in the locality. Searches are ongoing to find the source of the thread.
Synthetic manja threads are notorious for their powdered glass coating, which proves useful in kite-flying competitions. The production and sale of synthetic manja threads is banned in many parts of the country. But the incidents of motorists and children falling prey to these threads have been a recurring scourge.
The locals of Guntur demanded the police to arrest the sellers of Manja to save the lives of people.