Telangana floods: 1,646 people rescued in six districts in 48 hours

The operations were carried out in Kamareddy, Medak, Nizamabad, Nirmal, Rajanna Siricilla, and Siddipet, which witnessed heavy rainfall

By Newsmeter Network
Published on : 29 Aug 2025 6:53 PM IST

Telangana floods: 1,646 people rescued in six districts in 48 hours

Telangana floods: 1,646 people rescued in six districts in 48 hours

Hyderabad: The Telangana Fire and Disaster Response Department has reported that 1,646 people were rescued over the past 48 hours in six districts hit by severe flooding.

The operations were carried out in Kamareddy, Medak, Nizamabad, Nirmal, Rajanna Siricilla, and Siddipet, which witnessed heavy rainfall and overflowing rivers, tanks, and backwaters.

“Rescue personnel braved extreme conditions, including darkness and heavy floodwaters, to reach stranded victims,” said Y Nagi Reddy, IPS, Director General of Telangana Fire, Disaster Response, Emergency and Civil Defence.

He added, “I express my pride and appreciation for the courage, dedication and selfless service of our fire personnel, who risked their lives to protect the citizens of Telangana.”

Scale of operations

According to the department, 31 major operations were conducted to evacuate residents, including farmers, shepherds, students, officials, children, elderly persons, pregnant women and livestock.

One of the most extensive rescue efforts was carried out late on Wednesday night in GR Colony and the surrounding areas of Kamareddy town, where rising floodwaters posed a high risk. Crews continued work until 11:30 pm.

Two firemen briefly swept away in Kamareddy

The operations also faced setbacks.

Several Light Rescue Vehicles (LRVs) and Inflatable Rubber Boats (IRBs) sustained damage, while life-saving equipment such as life buoys and lifejackets were destroyed.

At Kamareddy, two firemen were briefly swept away along with their vehicle but managed to survive. The department attributed its survival to “professional training and swift response.”

Nagi Reddy said he personally visited the affected localities of GR Colony and Housing Board Colony in Kamareddy to oversee rescue efforts.

“All rescue activities in these colonies were successfully concluded by Thursday noon. Importantly, no lives were lost in these colonies due to the combined efforts of the Fire Department and District Administration,” he stated.

Clarification on misleading claims

The Director General also addressed reports of misrepresentation of the department’s work.

“It has come to notice that a particular individual has attempted to misrepresent the efforts of the Fire Department after operations had already been completed,” he said.

According to the department, the individual, who was on the first floor of an apartment in Kamareddy, refused evacuation when crews reached him between 11:30 and 11:45 pm on Wednesday, even as three of his neighbours were rescued. The department added that the same person later made repeated calls to senior officers, disrupting ongoing rescue efforts.

“The Fire & Disaster Response Department remains sensitive to the suffering and urgency of all disaster victims and prioritises rescues strictly on the basis of immediacy, risk and feasibility. Our record during this operation clearly demonstrates our commitment; every life in these colonies was safeguarded,” Nagi Reddy clarified.

Appeal to citizens

The department has urged residents to cooperate during emergencies.

“We request the public to cooperate with rescue teams during such emergencies and to extend full support by following the instructions of the personnel on the ground. False or misleading claims can undermine the morale of frontline staff and distract resources from genuine life-saving operations,” the Director General appealed.

Reaffirming its stance, the Fire Department stated that it remains committed to protecting lives and property under all circumstances.

Next Story