TS top health official warns of possible third wave, says next 2-4 weeks crucial

Telangana director of public health Dr. G. Srinivasa Rao on Thursday said fresh COVID-19 cases are definitely a sign of a third wave.

By Newsmeter Network  Published on  30 Dec 2021 12:25 PM GMT
TS top health official warns of possible third wave, says next 2-4 weeks crucial

Hyderabad: Telangana director of public health Dr. G. Srinivasa Rao on Thursday said fresh COVID-19 cases are definitely a sign of a third wave. He said the coming two to four weeks are crucial in the fight against COVID-19 and asked people to be careful and follow all necessary precautions, including wearing masks and getting vaccinated.

Addressing the media on Thursday, Dr. Rao said Omicron is spreading very fast in the state and this could be the sign of the beginning of the third wave. "We have to learn lessons from the previous two waves and act accordingly. There are two types of preparedness involved. First, the people should take all necessary precautions. Second, on the part of the government, all important steps that include testing, availability of beds, oxygen supply, and vaccination are all being taken care of. The next two to four weeks are crucial and we should all be careful," he said.

He said the state has made a good assessment of the disease and said cases could spike five times the present toll in the coming days. "Also, 90 per cent of people affected with the Omicron variant will not see any symptoms. But the remaining 10 per cent will witness symptoms and will have to be careful. That's because when the new wave hits, even the 10 per cent will number in lakhs. That is why it's important to be alert," he added.

Dr. Rao stressed the need for testing, isolation, and the importance of taking the COVID-19 vaccine. "There is ample stock of vaccine available with the state. People should go ahead and take it. Also, get your masks and cover your nose and mouth. This is the second weapon against COVID."

In view of the new year and Sankranti celebrations, Dr. Rao asked people to take precautions and added that the new wave could hot during Sankranti.

Next Story
Share it