Hyderabad: A nine-month-old boy from Hyderabad who accidentally spilled a vessel of boiling water on herself suffered approximately 30-35% burns. The boy was rushed to hospital for treatment.
Dr. Abhinandan Badam, a consultant (plastic and reconstructive surgery) at Amor Hospital said the baby suffered burns on his scalp, neck, back, hands, and axilla. "All of them were second-degree burns. On examination, mixed burns were noted with areas of superficial and deep burns. The baby was immediately admitted to the burns isolation facility and treated," he said.
Burns of more than 20% cause shock manifested by decreased blood volume and end-organ perfusion. Infants are very ‘volume sensitive’ and fluid resuscitation with strict maintenance of urine output and other parameters were carried out by the pediatrician and critical care team.
Skin substitutes used
Bovine-based extracellular matrix collagen membrane were used. This treatment method helps in early wound healing and less infections. It also reduces the financial burden on the patients. The baby responded positively and there were no infections. The child was discharged on the 10th day.
"Four days after being discharged, the child was brought for a follow-up. The collagen is slowly peeling off as all the wounds are completely healed," said Dr. Abhinandan.