Gas leak or food poisoning? 40 students of Valasapakala KV ill in mysterious incident

"After the second period, a few students felt restless and slept in the classroom. All of a sudden, a few of them started fainting and a few experienced chest pain, stomach pain, and nausea," said a class V student who witnessed the incident.

By Sri Lakshmi Muttevi  Published on  6 Sep 2022 9:52 AM GMT
Gas leak or food poisoning? 40 students of Valasapakala KV ill in mysterious incident

Kakinada: About 40 school students fell ill at the Kendriya Vidyalaya school in Valasapakala panchayat in Kakinada Rural on 6 September. A few students of classes V and VI fainted and collapsed during class hours. The students were immediately taken to government hospital and a few to a private hospital. The reason behind the incident is yet to be ascertained.

"After the second period, a few students felt restless and slept in the classroom. All of a sudden, a few of them started fainting and a few experienced chest pain, stomach pain, and nausea," said a class V student who witnessed the incident.

According to a parent, Raja Ramesh, whose son is in class V, "We got a call from the school teacher saying my son fell unconscious. By the time I reached the school, I could see 15-20 students ill and sitting down on the campus premises. We immediately shifted them to a private hospital. We are yet to know the reason."



Suspected gas leak

According to sources, there is an ice factory behind the school which releases poisonous gases. It is suspected that Ammonia gas leaked from the factory. Also, officials suspect a gas leak from the school laboratory. "Some of the students said they smelled gas which caused them to suffocate. Immediately, the other students put on their masks. We are yet to know the reason as there is no clarity," said a student.

Suspected food poisoning

Some of the students were admitted at the nearby primary health care centre and were later shifted to the GGH. The doctor at the PHC suspected food poisoning that caused the students to fall ill. It is being said that some students had consumed chocolate given by a student who was celebrating their birthday. Chocolate wrappers were also found on the school premises.

What do the officials say?

State education minister Botsa Satyanarayana said all the students are stable now. He ordered the officials to inquire into the incident.

Next Story
Share it