Peddapalli : Two brothers died after they consumed watermelon laced with rat poison in Peddapalli district. The family had stored the poison to kill rats at their home. However, the rats, which had consumed poison, had also bitten the watermelon.

The family members which ate the watermelon fell sick. Two boys later died, while their parents and grandmother are fighting for life. Police said the family hails from Issampeta village of Antargaon Mandal. They had eaten half of the watermelon on Tuesday. They stored the other half in the cupboard along with leftover poison.

Police suspect that the rats had fed on the poison and later the watermelon. After offering prayers on Tuesday, the family members ate the watermelon. Soon after, they fell unconscious. Neighbors and relatives immediately rushed them to the hospital.

Shivanandu and his younger brother Charan died late on Thursday night, while their parents Srisailam and Gunavathi, and grandmother Saramma are undergoing treatment. Their condition is said to be critical.

Newsmeter Network

Next Story