Textbook distribution delay: TS students try bridge course to make up for academic loss

The government is citing two reasons for the delay in the distribution of textbooks this year- one, the increasing paper price, and two, the bilingual textbooks

By Nimisha S Pradeep  Published on  8 July 2022 3:08 AM GMT
Textbook distribution delay: TS students try bridge course to make up for academic loss

Hyderabad: "Without textbooks, the students are not following the classes. Revision classes are going on now. Some of the students are not showing interest and are bored of doing the same lessons again. They want to learn something new. And for this, we need textbooks," says Mallareddy, a government school teacher in Telangana. He says that the government did not take measures to supply books as early as possible.

The government schools in Telangana re-opened on June 1. Even after one month, the government has not distributed the textbooks completely. In Zila Parishad High School (ZPHS) in Mahabubabad where Mallareddy works, only the class 9 and 10 students have received the textbooks. All the other classes are continuing their bridge courses. "Usually the bridge course is for 15-20 days but this year because of the delay in distribution of textbooks, the government has extended the bridge course to around 40 days," he said.

'Meanwhile, let's do a revision?'

R Sharada, a teacher at Government Girls High School (GGHS), Majeedia in Secunderabad says that 50% of the students of her school got the textbooks on 6 July. "We were following bridge course material, the worksheets that the government had sent online. This is mainly to improve the basic skills of the students. The bridge course was done for all classes from 1 to 10," she said.

However, she said that it is not just due to the delay in textbook distribution but the bridge course was essential considering Covid-19 and the gap the students had in their studies. "It is necessary to improve their competency skills," said Sharada.

Usually, the schools conduct a baseline test to assess the students when the school reopens for the new academic year. "Based on this test, we categorize students and plan how to develop each of them. This year, instead of the test, we are conducting the bridge course," said Sharada. She also added that the bridge course materials will be the basis for the first formative assessment scheduled to be held in the third week of July.

At GGHS Majeedia, the teachers have planned to start the actual portion for the new academic year on 12 July.

When will the textbooks finally come?

The government is citing two reasons for the delay in the distribution of textbooks this year- one, the increasing paper price, and two, the bilingual textbooks. "Usually the price of paper is around Rs. 61,000 per metric tonne but this year it increased to Rs. 97,000 per metric tonne. The delay was because we were waiting for a cheaper tender. Finally, the government agreed to Rs.95,000. Another reason is that the textbooks are bilingual this year (with Telugu on one side and English on the other side)," said Srinivasa Chary, Joint Director, in charge of textbook printing and distribution in the entire state.

Chary also said that 70% of the textbooks have been distributed and the rest of the 30% will be sent to the respective schools within 10 days.

Next Story
Share it