Wardhannapet: 34 Tribal Girls Ashram students taken ill; food poisoning suspected

Out of the 34 infected students, 21 girls were shifted to Community Health Centre (CHC) Wardhannapet and 12 others were shifted to MGM hospital in Warangal.

By Nimisha S Pradeep  Published on  6 Sep 2022 6:43 AM GMT
Wardhannapet: 34 Tribal Girls Ashram students taken ill; food poisoning suspected

Hyderabad: Thirty-four students of Tribal Girls Ashram in Wardhannapet were taken ill on Monday evening after consuming food provided by the school. One of the girls reportedly saw a lizard in the food.

After consuming the food, the girls started developing abdomen pain, vomiting, loose motion, etc. Out of the 34 infected students, 21 girls were shifted to Community Health Centre (CHC) Wardhannapet and 12 others were shifted to MGM hospital in Warangal.


Dr. Venkata Ramana, the District Medical Health Officer (DMHO) Warangal informed that all the infected students are fine now and that they are recovering.

"It could be unhygienic water, food, or anything. We are yet to ascertain the reason for the food poisoning," he said.

He added that an investigation will be carried out to find out what went wrong.

According to the data by Hakku Initiative, a social campaign of the Institute of Perception Studies Delhi, 347 students fell ill due to contaminated food and water in various government residential schools and colleges in Telangana in August 2022 alone. Over the span of eight months, 1,070 students suffered from food poisoning in the state.

Meanwhile, Telangana State Tribal, Women and Child Welfare Minister Satyavati Rathore called District Collector Gopi and MLA Aruri Ramesh and inquired about the current health condition of the students. She ordered the medical staff and public representatives to be vigilant and pay special attention to the health condition of the students. She also spoke with the MGM Superintendent.

Rathore further urged the parents not to worry and said that the students will get better medical treatment and that they are safe.

Next Story
Share it