Vijayawada: COVID suspects died due to asphyxia: Andhra DGP

By Newsmeter Network  Published on  9 Aug 2020 4:03 AM GMT
Vijayawada: COVID suspects died due to asphyxia: Andhra DGP

Vijayawada: Atleast 10 COVID suspects were feared killed when a fire broke out at a private COVID-19 care centre, Swarna Palace Hotel, on Eluru Road in Vijayawada in the early hours of Sunday. Around 25 patients were under treatment when the incident occurred. Short circuit in the office of the Hotel resulted in the fire, said DGP D.Gautam Sawang.

New Project 2020 08 09t111705.497

Speaking to Newsmeter, the DGP said, "Short circuit in the hotel's office area led to the fire which soon spread to the COVID treatment wards. The hotel is owned by Muttavarapu Srinivas Rao, who leased the premises to Dr Ramesh, a cardiologist for COVID treatment. Around 25 COVID patients were being treated at the Swarana Palace".

[amp-tweet tweetid="https://twitter.com/NewsMeter_In/status/1292311568001056768"]

The DGP further added, "Most patients died due to asphyxia, while few others have suffered burns.The casualties stand at 10, others have been shifted out". The fire, which broke out at 4.30 am on the first floor of the multi-storied hotel, quickly spread to the second floor too.

Police have booked a criminal case against Dr Ramesh Hospital and Swarna Palace hotel management following the major fire accident that claimed the lives of 10 patients. This is the second fire incident occurred in a COVID care center in a span of two weeks.

Following a complaint lodge by the Tahsildar , Vijayawada police registered a case under 304 (II), 308 r/w 34 of the Indian Penal Code, against the management.

Next Story
Share it