Hyderabad: A seven year old girl died and 12 others fell ill when they took deworming pills to mark the National Deworming Day in Jagtial district.

Identified as Sahasra, a second standard at a local private school, she allegedly consumed the tablet at the Aganwardi Centre at Dharmapuri in Jagtial district.

Her parents, T Maruti and Rajitha, alleged that their daughter died due to the intake of the deworming tablet, which was given to her at an anganwadi centre.

Rajita dropped Sahasra in her classroom after she took deworming pill at the anganwadi centre. When she developed seizures, she was rushed to a nearby hospital in Jagtial. Sahasra however was declared dead by the doctors.

Medical officer, Dr Naresh said deworming tablet was not the sole cause for her death.He said seven year old was suffering from anemia and the tablet intake caused fits.

“On the complaint of Sahasra’s mother, we have registered a case of death under suspicious circumstances”, said Dharmapuri police station Sub Inspector Srikanth.

Meanwhile, 12 other children studying in two private schools also fell ill after they consumed the deworming tablets. They have been rushed to a government hospital for treatment.

On National Deworming day, children aged between 1-years 19 are given deworming tablets in all the schools and anganwadi centers on February 10.

Newsmeter Network

An independent digital media platform that brings you credible news stories and Analysis of current affairs as they unfold.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *