Do you have frequent attacks of flu or infections? Worried about contracting a deadly disease like COVID-19? During the ongoing Pandemic, everyone is concerned about the wellbeing of themselves and their family. With newer microbes attacking our body each day, the only thing that can safeguard us in these difficult times is our natural immune system.
Experts suggest that following certain home remedies to boost immunity in adults is always a better option than chewing on vitamin pills and supplements. Along with strengthening your defense mechanism, these remedies can also improve your overall health and quality of life.
How to Boost Immunity Power Naturally:
Let us first understand some important tips and lifestyle changes to strengthen your immune system and fight potential diseases:
- Eat a healthy balanced diet: Include plenty of naturally available fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, dairy, etc. covering all your nutritional requirements to boost your immunity.
Maintain a healthy body weight: Being overweight or underweight can impact the immune response of your cells.
- Exercise regularly: Physical workouts can improve blood circulation, slow down the release of stress hormones, and flush out the bacteria from lung ways.
- Get Enough Sleep: Adults should sleep for atleast 7-8 hours a day to improve the functioning of your immune system. Poor sleeping habits may make the body susceptible to diseases.
- Consume more Probiotics: Eating fermented foods that are rich in Probiotics can improve the gut flora of your digestive tract. This is very important for your immune system to differentiate healthy cells from foreign invasions.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water per day for proper functioning of all your organs. Water is also essential to cleanse your body and eliminate toxins that harm the system.
- Avoid Smoking or Alcohol: Smoking and alcohol can damage your organs iin the long run. They distort the normalcy of your immune system and in worse cases, trigger autoimmune diseases.
- Maintain Personal Hygiene: Wash your hands regularly to avoid the microbes from entering our system. Maintain a clean environment to lessen the chances of diseases.
Top 7 Home Remedies to Increase Immunity in Adults:
Let us now look into some of the best natural remedies for boosting immunity:
1. Immunity-Boosting Masala Chai:
Indian masala chai is a wonderful home remedy for boosting immunity. Along with reviving your spirits, this tasty, hot beverage can strengthen your system and prevent many infections. The spices present in this drink like pepper, cinnamon, dry ginger, star anise, cardamom, tulsi leaves etc. can offer quick relief from cold, cough and body pains caused due to seasonal diseases.
- Dry Ginger Powder/ Grated Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Peppercorns – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 small stick
- Cloves – 2
- Star Anise – 1
- Cardamom – 1
- Dry Tulsi Leaves – 2
- Skim Milk – 1 Cup
- Honey – As per Taste
- Tea Powder – 1 tbsp
- Make a powder of all the spices mentioned in the ingredient list
- Boil milk and tea powder
- Add 1 tbsp of the Masala Chai mix
- Add honey or palm sugar for taste
- Serve it hot
NOTE: You can skip milk and have it as Masala black tea if you are vegan or lactose intolerant.
2. Turmeric, Lemon and Ginger Tea:
Another best home remedy to increase immunity in adults is this tasty and healthy drink. It is made with turmeric, lemon and ginger, which are all rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. They help in fighting free radicals that damage healthy cells and reduce inflammation that lead to several diseases in the body. This tea can be particularly beneficial during cold weathers to fight symptoms of blocked nose, throat pain etc.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp
- Ginger Grated – 2 tbsp
- Lemon – half slice
- Honey – 1 tbsp (Optional)
- Water – 2 cups
- Add grated ginger to boiling water
- Now add some turmeric powder and let it seep through
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice, honey
- Serve it hot
3. Healthy Green Juice:
Green Juice is a popular immune-boosting drink that many health experts and gym-goers swear by. This plant-based beverage comprises fresh greens like lettuce, mint, coriander, and spinach, which cleanse your body and eliminate toxins. Other ingredients like Green Apple, Cucumber, Ginger, Lemon juice etc. provide a healthy dose of Vitamins like C, A, K, etc. which strengthen your immune syste,.
- Spinach Leaves – 1 Cup
- Lettuce – ½ Cup
- Mint Leaves – 1 Cup
- Coriander – 1 Cup
- Apple – 1 whole
- Cucumber – ½ Cup chopped
- Lemon – 2 tbsp
- Black Salt – To Taste
- Add all the ingredients to a juicer
- Blend well and add some water if needed
- Serve it immediately.
4. Golden Turmeric Milk:
Turmeric milk or Golden milk is considered to be an immunity-boosting elixir by ancient Indians. It can offer quick relief from the symptoms of cough, cold and throat infections. Also, the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of this milk can improve the functionality of immune system and reduce the chances of catching diseases.
- Skim Milk or Vegan Milk – 1 Glass
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tbsp
- Ground Ginger Powder – ½ tbsp
- Black Pepper Powder – ½ tbsp
- Cinnamon Powder – ½ tbsp
- Honey – for taste
- Heat up some milk
- Add all the ingredients except honey
- Mix well until the color and flavour of milk changes
- Do not boil if you are using vegan milk like almond, soy etc.
- Add honey and Serve it hot.
5. Spicy Vegetable Soup:
Nothing can beat the warmth and comfort offered by a bowl of hot, spicy soup. Especially when it is infused with the goodness of vegetables, the benefits get doubled! Vegetable soup offers many essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals which can strengthen your immune system. Ginger and garlic added to this soup can help in fighting germs that infect your body. If you a re non-vegetarian, you can also add chicken or seafood to this recipe.
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Chopped Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Chopped Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Cut Vegetables – 1 Cup (Carrots, Cabbage, Mushrooms, Celery, Peas, Pumpkin etc.)
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Salt – To Taste
- Ground Black Pepper – 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Heat up some olive oil in a deep bottomed pan
- Sautee ginger and garlic
- Add cut vegetables and saute well
- Add some salt, pepper and bay lead
- Pour the required amount of water
- Bring it to a boil
- Finish it off with some lemon juice
- Serve it hot
6. South Indian Rasam:
South Indians simply cannot do without finishing a bowl of hot piping rasam with some rice. Rasam is a blend of different spices, tomato pulp and tamarind cooked into a thin broth. It is known for offering instant relief from blocked nose, headache, throat infections and even digestive problems. Many people believe that Rasam can work as an antidote for many viral infections by boosting your immune system.
For Rasam Powder
- Coriander Seeds – 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 2 tbsp
- Black Pepper – 2 tbsp
For the Main Method
- Chopped Tomato – 1 Cup
- Tamarind Pulp – 2 tbsp
- Salt – To Taste
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric – ½ Tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Garlic Cloves – 2-3
- Asafoetida – 1 Pinch
- Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 5-6
- Make a powder with the ingredients mentioned under “Rasam Powder”
- Now heat up some oil
- Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric
- Cook until soft
- Add tamarind pulp and 2 tbsp of Rasam Powder
- Pour Water
- Bring everything to boil
- Now heat up some oil in a small pan
- Add all the “tempering” ingredients
- Once they are all roasted, add them to the hot rasam
- Garnish with coriander leaves
NOTE: You can add cooked Toor dal if you wish to.
7. Ayurvedic Kashayam:
Ayurvedic Kashayam or Kadha is an Immunity boosting health tonic formulated by experts of Ayurveda. It contains many anti-microbial agents which fight bacteria and virus that enter your system. Drinking it warm can ease muscular pains, offer quick relief from cold and cough, and boost your digestive system.
- Black Peppers – 1tbsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Dry Ginger – ½ tbsp
- Turmeric – ½ tbsp
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cardamom – 1-2 pods
- Clove – 1
- Palm sugar or Jaggery – 2 tbsp
- Milk or Water – 1 Cup
- Dry roast all the spices till they turn aromatic
- Grind them into a powder
- Now take a pan and add some milk or water
- Add 1-2 tbsp of Kashayam powder
- Bring to a boil
- Add jaggery or palm sugar
- Turn off the flame
- Strain and serve it hot
We hope you give these 7 immunity-boosting home remedies for adults a try! Not only are they healthy, but very tasty when prepared in the right way. Drink them regularly and moderately to enjoy a happy and healthy life. Do you have any more such recipes that you think we should feature here? Please let us know!